Must-ask Interview Questions for Choose a Buyer Agent:
- How long have you been licensed?
- Do you work in real estate full time?
- What percentage of your business is working with buyers?
- How familiar are you with the area where I want to purchase?
- Do you have references from other buyers who have used your services?
- Do you have an association membership that has a published code of ethics or standards of practice?
- Do you think foreclosures, bank-owned properties or for-sale-by-owner properties would be appropriate for my home search?
- How often will you supply me with properties that meet my criteria? How will you get them to me?
- Will you point out both the negative and positive aspects of each property?
- Please tell me how you represent buyers to help them get the best price and terms?
- Can you help me throughout the loan process?
- Do you have a list of lenders, home inspectors, insurance agents and other professionals to recommend?
- How do you get paid?
- Do you have a written agreement?
- What is the duration of that agreement?
- What if I see a for-sale-by-owner house on my own?
- How would you represent me as a buyer client for properties listed with your firm?
- Will you change your relationship with me to “dual agency”, “designated agent”, or “transactional broker”?
- How might that affect your ability to negotiate on my behalf for those properties?
After asking these questions in a face-to-face interview or a pre-arranged phone interview, you may wish to fill out the following:
Go to blogs on Choosing an Agent:
Why use an agent at all?
What is a Buyer’s agent How do Buyer Agents get paid?
Types of legal relationships:
Finding a new agent.